Our History banner

About

Our History

Crane & Staples was founded by Dennis Crane and Colin Staples in 1938. Their aim was to provide expert legal advice to members of the local community. Over the last eighty years, this has remained our firm’s main objective.

In 1938, we had offices in Welwyn Village and Welwyn Garden City. In 1982 the Firm merged with the practice of Wynters, Davis & Lee and took over their Hertford office.

Our office in Welwyn Village closed in 1995 and our Hertford office closed in 2004, so we could all relocate to our much larger Welwyn Garden City office. Working in the same office is important to us as we can work closely with our colleagues, easily discuss cases and advise each other on different matters. Welwyn Garden City is our home and we are grateful for our prime location in the beautiful town centre.

In 2018, we celebrated our 80th birthday with a big party for our clients and contacts.

The Partnership became a Limited Liability partnership on 1st April 2019.

In response to the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020, we adopted remote working procedures and our team all pulled together to ensure we continued to provide an excellent service. We were so thankful to our staff, clients and contacts for their hard work and support during this unprecedented time.

As the firm continues to grow, embrace new technology and welcome staff and clients from a range of different backgrounds, we reflect on the original aims of our founding partners and hope they would be very proud of how the firm is today.